My students were having a hard time distinguishing between adjectives, verbs, and adverbs, so I designed these activities to give them the tools that they would need to be able to figure out a word’s part of speech all on their own.
Note: To get this product at 50% off, you can check out the Bundle here: Parts of Speech: Sentence Structure, Coloring, Graphing, Writing BUNDLE
More than just a color-by-code sheet, this activity includes a “Word Labeling Machine” that will help students decide which part of speech a word is, so that they can work independently on even the most challenging of words! Using the “Word Labeling Machine” is so fun for students that they don’t realize that they are gaining a deeper understanding of English structure while they are using it! Once students have worked to put examples into the “machine,” they can color their answers in the Valentine's Day poster. There is also a graphing activity that asks them to graph their results using the same color coding as they used in the poster. This makes it easy for students to check their own work against the answer key—without the teacher having to give away the exact answer to how the finished poster should look. (However, an Answer Key showing the correct colors in the finished poster is also provided, in case you would like to have students double-check their work). The third page of the handout is a follow-up writing activity (“A Pet's Valentine's Day”) in which students are asked to come up with answers to some fun questions like: “Do you think the dog is giving a gift, or receiving one? and “Why do you think some of the balloons are floating away?
Your download includes:
● The Color-By-Code Valentine's Day poster worksheet—[With nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, pronouns, conjunctions, and interjections]
● The second page of the worksheet, with both a sentence structure activity and a graphing activity
● The third page of the worksheet, with a “A Pet's Valentine's Day” writing activity
● An Answer Key showing how the finished poster should look
● An Answer Key showing the correct answers for the sentence structure activity and the graphing activity