Students will review and analyze the building blocks of the English language, the parts of speech, to prepare them for more complex language concepts, like verbals, clauses, punctuation, and sentence variety.
Need an efficient and engaging way to review the eight parts of speech with middle and high school students before moving on to more complex grammatical concepts? This 8 parts of speech unit is perfect for laying the foundation for your grammar instruction. Use it as a springboard for future grammar lessons.
NEW UPDATE! This resource now has more engaging activities and is ready for distance learning formats with Google Drive resources. You'll find all the updates and digital links in the Suggested Use PDF.
8 Parts of Speech Grammar Unit Contents:
1. A PowerPoint and Google Slides presentation for quick review
2. PDF reference posters that can be used as student reference pages or decor
3. Engaging and differentiated practice activities you use as online or face-to-face station activities, practice assignments, or homework:
- 28 task cards with answer keys
- 10 colloquialisms or slang parts of speech identification sentences
- 1 infographic matching and connections activity
- 12 scaffolded digital worksheets for reinforcement
- 1 parts of speech in pop culture graphic organizer
- 1 parts of speech mind map activity with examples and self-assessment rubric
- 1 parts of speech sorting challenge
- 1 mentor text excerpt for higher-order thinking and analysis
- 1 Bitmoji classroom slide you can use to organize station activities
4. An editable parts of speech game for face-to-face or synchronous online meetings
5. An editable, self-grading parts of speech assessment
6. Suggested use for teachers
Examples of open-ended activities and answer keys for right or wrong exercises are included for teacher and student reference.
This parts of speech grammar unit is unique in that it offers differentiation through a variety of practice activities, exercises, and assessments. After introducing the concepts via direct instruction, lead students through guided practice exercises, and finally ask them to work collaboratively through the material in stations - online or in person.
Why does it work?
This unit can add power to your parts of speech lessons because it contains...
1. Scaffolded instruction
2. Connections to writing and reading
3. Relevant practice opportunities
4. Engaging repetition
5. A variety in depth of knowledge
Is it editable?
Many of the activities in this resource are partially editable:
- PowerPoint presentation
- BINGO game
- Parts of speech challenge
- Parts of speech infographic
- Practice worksheets
- Mind map rubric and directions
- Quiz - matching and multiple choice
However, some of the resources in this unit are not editable:
- Slides presentation
- Task cards
- Slides presentation
- Colloquial examples
- Pop culture graphic organizer
- Parts of speech mentor text analysis
Looking for grammar instruction materials to complement this parts of speech bundle? You might be interested in...
Find more grammar teaching resources for middle and high school here.
Looking for ideas for sequencing grammar instruction effectively? I wrote about my approach here.
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.