The Parts of Speech Worksheets
include definitions, examples, practice, and a writing connection. Each worksheet concludes with a brief formative assessment and a 3D graphic organizer. The unit also provides the “Parts of Speech Song” review activity and a unit test. Answers are provided for both worksheets and the test. Online links provide additional resources. You will love this parts of speech unit.
#1 Proper Nouns
#2 Common Nouns
#7 Prepositional Phrases
#8 Coordinating Conjunctions
#9 Subordinating Conjunctions
#10 Correlative Conjunctions
Teachers use these worksheets in a variety of ways:
1. Teachers lecture on the part of speech and students take notes in composition notebooks or with Cornell Notes. Teachers pass out the corresponding worksheet for independent practice.
2. Students complete interactive notebook pages on the part of speech. Teachers pass out the corresponding worksheet and students cut out, color, and glue (or tape) the lesson content and the 3D graphic organizer.
3. The teacher passes out a packet of the Parts of Speech Worksheets or creates hanging file folders in a file cabinet or file box that will be accessible for students. Students work collaboratively or independently to complete the unit for classwork or homework.
4. In literacy centers or writers workshop, the teacher uses an individual worksheet to lead instruction and provide practice for a targeted mini-lesson.
5. The teacher administers the author’s Diagnostic Parts of Speech and uses the results to differentiate or individualize instruction. Students complete only the worksheets which correspond to their un-mastered parts of speech.
Before purchasing, teachers may wish to check out the following full-year, Standards-based, grade-level programs:
The rigorous and comprehensive Teaching Grammar and Mechanics
grades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and high school programs include 56 scripted lessons (64 for high school) with Progressive Skills Standards review, definitions and examples, practice and error analysis, simple sentence diagrams, and mentor texts with writing applications. Formative assessments are woven into every 25-minute lesson.
Biweekly grammar, usage, mechanics, and vocabulary unit tests require students to define, identify, and apply their learning writing context.
Each program also provides the Diagnostic Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Assessments with corresponding remedial worksheets to help your students catch up
while they keep up
with grade-level instruction.
Teaching Grammar and Mechanics Grade 4
Teaching Grammar and Mechanics Grade 5
Teaching Grammar and Mechanics Grade 6
Teaching Grammar and Mechanics Grade 7
Teaching Grammar and Mechanics Grade 8
Teaching Grammar and Mechanics High School
These programs are included in the grade-level Grammar, Mechanics, Spelling, and Vocabulary BUNDLE
. Check the end of the PREVIEW for this value-packed product description.
Check out the Pennington Publishing Blog for hundreds of useful articles and FREE teaching resources.