This unit begins by getting students excited about the life cycle of a plant. You will plant seeds with your students which they will later pollinate and harvest new seeds from. Next, you will teach each part of the plant by completing a close read, text coding, and taking notes. During each lesson you will model close reading, text coding, and note-taking. Students will have a chance to practice the modeled strategy in partners and independently. After each close read, students will complete science project/experiments related to each part of the plant. Student will check on their plants throughout the lessons and complete an observation in their journal. Finally, students will use their notes from close reading and text coding to create a nonfiction flip booklet about the life cycle of a plant.
You will be amazed at how excited your students will be to write. The quality of their writing will be impressive due to all of the knowledge they have gained about plants.
During this unit students will:
- Plant, pollinate, and harvest seeds in the classroom (instructions provided)
- Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text Parts of the Plant (text provided)
- Code text with the teacher for each part of the plant (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions for each part of the plant (questions provided)
- Read differentiated text about the each part of the plant with partners and independently (3 different levels are provided for each part of the plant)
- Code text with teacher model, partners, and independently using differentiated student text (scaffolding lessons plans to instruct students from teacher modeling to independent practice are provided)
- Take notes on each part of the plant using a note sheet (note sheet provided)
- Use their plant parts notes to write a nonfiction flip book about the plant parts (printable flip book provided)
- Complete experiments/activities for each part of the plant and complete a writing page (instructions and writing pages provided)
- Complete a plant observation journal throughout the unit
• Detailed lesson plans
• Teacher read aloud text
• Differentiated student text (3 levels)
• Text dependent questions
• Planting, pollinating, and harvesting seeds instructions
• Science project for each part of the plant
• Write, draw, and label plant part pages
• Close Reading Anchor Charts
• Text coding answer sheets
• Vocabulary cards
• Plant observation journal
• Note-taking sheet
• Nonfiction plant flip book writing project
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
Visit our blog here to find out more about parts of a plant unit
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog