- Directions for slides and presentation
- Slide examples
- Cause exploration chart
Lesson plan: (Approximately 2 weeks)
- Cause Exploration Chart: As a class, brainstorm different ideas. I asked "What are some problems that you see at our school or in our community that you care about?" Then allow students to search online for possible causes that they feel passionately about. Share ideas with a partner/class. Students can use this chart to help them decide what to do their presentation on.
- Directions: Read through the directions and show the example of the presentation. Students then create slides (I used Google Slides) for their own presentations. Creating the slides can take several days. Spend a day talking about public speaking strategies and skills. Also allow for students to practice their presentation with a partner.
- Presentations: Students present their slides to the class.
- Reflection: When all of the presentations are complete, assign the reflection for students to think about their own presentation as well as their classmates.
I used this assignment at the end of the year after we had studied historical figures who spoke passionately about their causes.