Finally, a scientific investigation that’s simple, focused, and actually works! In this engaging science investigation, students add pennies- one a time- to a cup that’s hanging from a thin spaghetti noodle until it finally breaks. We’ll ensure that your students perform good a science investigation by including:
• a testable prediction (aka ‘hypothesis’); where you always start with a science investigation
• a procedure that’s aware of which 1 variable changes and which others do not
• repetition (they’ll do this science investigation multiple times, and average their results)
• space to make a graph that summarizes results of this science investigation visually
• a thoughtful series of concluding prompts at the end that will cause your students to apply what they’ve seen and learned (like having a wrong hypothesis is ok in science; in what other class is that possible!?!?)
If you stick close to the way this science investigation is presented, the Teacher Notes and PowerPoint will guide you smoothly through the science investigation. There’s also plenty of room built in for you to change things if you realize this science investigation would work better for your students another way. Either way, your students will enjoy seeing how science works in their hands!
Key terms: science investigation: prediction, variable, independent variable, constant, line graph, bar graph, circle graph