Pathway to Fluency Level 1: Unit 2 SCIENCE OF READING ALIGNED + Sound Wall
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Pathway to Fluency is a complete and comprehensive Science of Reading (SoR) Aligned Curriculum! Look no further for your whole-group, small-group and one-on-one reading instruction. Pathway to Fluency has been developed to teach everything from phonological awareness to fluency and spelling in a sPrice $60.00Original Price $100.00Save $40.00
SAVE BIG with the Level 1 BUNDLE HERE
Pathway to Fluency is a complete and comprehensive Science of Reading (SoR) Aligned Curriculum! Look no further for your whole-group, small-group and one-on-one reading instruction. Pathway to Fluency has been developed to teach everything from phonological awareness to fluency and spelling in a systematic way using methods that are proven to be effective.
This download includes Level 1: Unit 2
What does this curriculum cover?
This curriculum focuses on developing students' abilities to read and write. This is done by building skills in four major areas:
1. Phonological and Phonemic Awareness- The ability to hear and manipulate sounds and words
2. Phonics- Knowing and using letter sound correspondences
3. Fluency- Recognizing known decodable words and common irregular high frequency words
4. Printing and spelling- Learning letter formation. Using phonics and high frequency word knowledge to spell and write.
Where does this curriculum fit?
This curriculum incorporates phonemic awareness, phonics, high frequency words, printing, and decodable reading allowing you to use one straight forward and cohesive curriculum instead of several separate programs.
****Use this Level 1 of this curriculum in conjunction with the Kindergarten Reading Comprehension Curriculum for a complete reading block. The Kindergarten Reading Comprehension will incorporate both vocabulary and comprehension fulfilling all components that make up the Simple View of Reading.
Unit 2: CVC, CVCs, Simple Double Consonant & Silent e - Unit 2: Letters and Letter Sounds: In Unit 2 of Pathway to Fluency Reading Curriculum, students will be provided with a strong foundation in daily phonological and phonemic awareness, segmenting and blending words through orthographically mapping words, high frequency words practice (regular and irregular), and practicing with authentic decodable books.
By the end of 9 weeks of instruction, students will be able to fluently decode and encode CVC words, CVC plural words, CVCe words and simple double consonant words.
- Week 1: Short a CVC Words
- Week 2: Short i CVC Words
- Week 3: Short o CVC Words
- Week 4: Review of weeks 1-3
- Week 5: Short u and e CVC Words
- Week 6: Plural s and Simple Double Consonants
- Week 7: _a_e & _i_e Words
- Week 8: _o_e & _u_e Words
- Week 9: Review of weeks 5-8
This curriculum is designed to allow for flexible implementation. However, a general guide is provided below.
- Whole-Group Lesson (15 Minutes)
Whole-group lessons cover phonemic awareness, phonological awareness, phonics, letters, decoding, high frequency words, fluency, printing, and spelling.
- Small-Group Literacy Centers (40+ Minutes)
Students will break up into small groups to work on activities at their assigned center stations. You may choose to have each small group go to a new station each day, or you can rotate the center activities to a new group each day.
- Independent Practice
Independent practice is provided to accompany each center. Depending on your classroom organization and time constraints these can be used at a station during small-group center time, for whole group seat work, as morning work, or as homework.
- Tracking & Assessments
Students will be assessed twice per unit. The assessments in Unit 1 cover phonological awareness, phonics, and high frequency words*. As units progress, students will also be assessed on reading and spelling. Guides are provided to help you use this data to group your students effectively. See Lesson Plans & Assessments explanation page for more information.
*Note- The first 100 Dolch words are explicitly taught and assessed in this Level 1 curriculum. However, they are taught in phonetic order, not list order.
What is included in Unit 2 of this download?
0_ Start Here File: This file guides you through the basics of implementing a seamless, fun, and engaging SoR aligned curriculum in your classroom! (See Unit 1 description for this file).
01 Lesson Plans and Assessments:
- Unit 2 - 45 days of explicit and systematic instruction for teaching CVC, CVCs, CVCe, and simple double consonant words. Mid and Post Assessments to drive instruction. The following components will be covered in each lesson:
- Oral Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
- Explicit Phonics Instruction
- High Frequency Words Instruction
- Application and Independent Practice / Small group differentiation
02 Whole Group Resources:
- Map it, Graph it, Write it Posters
- High Frequency Instruction Posters
- Word Building Letter Cards
03 Center Activities and Independent Practice:
- Clipart Key for each set of words
- 9 weeks of Phonics Focused Centers (Weeks 4 and 9 are Review Weeks)
- Decodable High Frequency Words and Irregular High Frequency Words practice
04 Teacher Table Tools (for small groups and differentiation)
- Daily Handwriting Phonics Practice Books with weekly Dictation Sentences
- 20 Decodable Readers Aligned to the Lesson Plans
- 20 Phonics Practice Books for each Phonics Skill taught
- Weekly Teacher Table Phonological and Phonemic Awareness Lessons
- Weekly Teacher Table Chaining Activities with a Chaining File Folder Tool
- Small Group Word List with Phonemic Awareness Instruction
- Phonemic Awareness Tap it and Map it Cards for all Phonics Skills Taught
- Phonemic Awareness Map it and Zap it Mats
- Road Readers for Segmenting and Blending words
- Blending Bus Math with Word Lists
- Listen, Map it and Build it
- Word Chains/Ladders
- Fluency Word Strips
- High Frequency Word Cards and Practice Cards
- Heart Word Practice Sheets
- Application Strips: Phrases and Sentences
- Fluency Racers for Review (Heart Words and Phonics Practice)
- Weekly Dictation Sentence Practice
- Ending Sounds of S Cards (voiced or unvoiced)
- Reversal Practice (b and d, p and q, mixed practice)
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
⭐⭐Be sure to follow the Moffatt Girls on:⭐⭐
- Visit my blog at The Moffatt Girls Blog
- Follow me on Facebook
- Follow me on Instagram
- Join my FREE private group, The Moffatt Girls-Engage Group, to see how other teachers, parents, and homeschoolers are using and organizing Moffatt Girl Curriculum! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐