Which patriotic song would make the best national anthem? This persuasive writing activity lets kids decide. It’s the perfect opinion writing prompt for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Veteran’s Day, Constitution Day, or any day!
This resource is now available as a printable PDF or paperless Google Slides. In addition, a companion website presents the lyrics, background information, and link to an audio-visual file for each song.
Materials can be used for opinion (first person) or persuasive (second person) writing. While many students may use the organizers to develop one-paragraph pieces, more able students may easily scaffold to five-paragraph essays.
- Note to teacher
- Link to companion website with patriotic writing prompt, as well as information, lyrics, and audio-visual files for each song
- Link to editable Google Slides versions of opinion writing student sheets (11 pages)
- Link to editable Google Slides versions of persuasive writing student sheets (11 pages)
- Link to editable Google Slides version of rubric
- One-page information sheet for each song (including lyrics)
- Forming an opinion sheet - for listing pros and cons
- Directions and graphic organizer for opinion writing
- Directions and graphic organizer for persuasive writing
- Graphic organizer for opening statements
- Explanation of techniques - logos, pathos, and ethos
- List of transition terms
- Proofreading and editing sheet
- Themed writing paper
- Optional: class voting form
Clip art was created by Classroom Collage.
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT.