62 Fill-In Problems in Movie Order and 14 Critical Thinking Prompts! Can be done fully online as a TpT Digital Activity! Includes reusable and consumable versions of the worksheets, plus both full-context (with time stamps) and fast-correct answer keys! Help students enjoy your World War II unit like never before!
A World War II Classic Students Can Relate To!
Teaching with movies can open students' eyes to a whole new world and make history seem a lot more relevant, not to mention alive! For teachers, though, there is always the question of how to hold the students accountable for what they are watching.
These worksheets, designed to go with the award-winning motion Picture Patton starring George C. Scott, will do more than help hold students responsible for paying attention. They will also guide students through the movie, pointing out key sections of dialog in order to cue students to a better understanding of essential plot elements and supporting details.
Materials Included in these Patton Movie Worksheets
- Reusable cloze worksheets that take students through the entire movie in order from start to finish. These worksheets can be copied off and then used with multiple classes across multiple years to save you not only paper and ink, but also your valuable time! 62 problems in all!
- Consumable worksheet versions of the above, in case you prefer to let students write on the printouts you make. For special needs students, this may be the better option.
- A full-context answer key that makes discussing the right answers a snap. This version of the answer key also includes time-stamps for teacher convenience.
- A "fast correct" answer key to help with fast and easy correcting of student papers.
- A student answer sheet that exactly matches the fast-correct answer key so that you can line up student papers and the key to correct everything in a flash!
- 14 critical thinking prompts. These are great for use essay or discussion topics, but can also double as debate or collaborative project prompts. However you leverage them, they will help students dive deeper into the film's themes.
Topics Covered in these Patton Movie Worksheets
Patton is one of those movies that has stood the test of time. A true classic, it delves into a variety of issues that are hugely important to a good understanding of 20th century history. The film does an excellent job of examining these topics, among many others:
- World War II -- the North African campaign against Rommel, otherwise known as the "Desert Fox"
- World War II -- the invasion of Sicily, the "soft underbelly of Europe" that allowed the Allies to move against the Axis in Italy
- World War II -- the "deception" campaign to fool the Germans regarding the probable location of the D-Day landings
- World War II -- the Battle of the Bulge and the end of the war
- The tensions at the end of the war -- tensions that would soon lead the U.S. and Soviets into the Cold War
Along the way, the film explores essential issues such as
- The nature of war, particularly in the modern age.
- The leadership style of Patton versus other generals in the Allied command.
- The responsibility a commander owes to his troops.
- The conflict between following orders and being true to one's own principles and beliefs
- The question of courage -- or the lack of it -- under fire.
These issues -- and many others -- are explored in depth via the essay and discussion questions included in the movie guide.
As a teacher myself, I can attest to the usefulness of the film for history classes. One more reason it is so great? The vast majority of students have never seen it before, making it a new experience that teachers can share with them and then use to build a strong foundation of knowledge about this key period in world and American history.
Looking for more World War II teaching materials?
You might find the following useful: