Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
13.25 MB | 64 pages
Build your students' reading skills with these no-prep literacy activities, sequencing skills worksheets, and graphic organizers. Use these reading resources with your Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill by Steven Kellogg Book Study and your Tall Tales Unit. Tall Tales are also a great way to increase literacy for special populations like English Language Learners and Special Education.
You can get these separately in My Store, but why when you can Buy the Bundle and Save. Plus, you get an additional bonus of two Paul Bunyan Pecos Bill Compare and Contrast Activities.
Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill by Steven Kellogg are adventurous adaptations of these beloved tall tales. The rich vocabulary and stories provide a perfect opportunity for word study and literacy activities.
Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill are Common Core focus books for grade 2, but can be used for any elementary grade level. I use it with my middle school English Language Learners.
The common core requires that students be exposed to academic vocabulary. Studies also show that children need multiple exposure to academic vocabulary in order to “own” the word. I designed these resources to allow for multiple exposure to targeted vocabulary.
The academic Tier 2 vocabulary focus words for the activities are:
For Paul Bunyan: lumber, astonished, legendary, pioneers, enormous, arrive, journey, roam
You will receive for each Tall Tale: (Total 64 Pages)
• Assessment of the eight focus vocabulary words (can be used as a pre and post assessment)
• Teacher Guide
• Cut and paste story sequencing activity without picture support
• Cut and paste story sequencing activity with picture support (differentiated activity)
• Character mapping graphic organizer
• Focus Vocabulary Synonym Activity
• Focus Vocabulary “Vivid Vocabulary” replace the “boring” word with a more vivid word
• Focus Words Vocabulary Synonym Matching Activity
• Identifying Compound words activity
• Problem summary graphic organizer
• Fact or Exaggeration Activity
• Bonus Compare & Contrast Activities
• Answer Keys
Aligned to Common Core Standards for Grades 2-5:
• Recount/Retell stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
• Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
• Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
• Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text
• Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when encountering an unknown term important to comprehension or expression.
***SPECIAL NOTE FOR TEACHING***
Most of the activities are self explanatory. Before beginning the unit, it is suggested that you use the vocabulary assessment as a baseline assessment. At the end of the unit, give the assessment again as a post (summative) assessment.
Customer Tips: How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom.