Build your students' reading skills with these no-prep literacy activities, sequencing skills worksheets, and graphic organizers. Use these reading resources with your Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg Book Study and your Tall Tales Unit.
No Tall Tale Unit would be complete without Pecos Bill Tall Tale or John Henry Tall Tale.
Save a well-earned teacher dollar by purchasing the Pecos Bill Paul Bunyan Bundle
Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg is an adventurous adaptation of this tall tale. The rich vocabulary and story provide a perfect opportunity for word study and literacy activities.
Paul Bunyan is a Common Core focus book for grade 2, but can be used for any elementary grade level. I use it with my middle school English Language Learners.
The common core requires that students be exposed to academic vocabulary. Studies also show that children need multiple exposure to academic vocabulary in order to “own” the word. I designed this product to allow for multiple exposure to targeted vocabulary.
The academic Tier 2 vocabulary focus words for the activities are:
lumber, astonished, legendary, pioneers, enormous, arrive, journey, and roam
What you get: (Total 22 pages)
• Assessment of the eight focus vocabulary words (can be used as a pre and post assessment (2 pages) *The two lines allow for the student to write a sentence using the targeted vocabulary word.
• Cut and paste story sequencing activity without picture support (2 pages)
• Cut and paste story sequencing activity with picture support (2 pages) (differentiated activity)
• Cut and paste activity answer key (1 page)
• Character mapping graphic organizer (1 page)
• Focus Vocabulary Synonym Activity Worksheet + answer key (2 pages)
• Focus Vocabulary “Vivid Vocabulary” replace the “boring” word with a more vivid word + answer key (2 pages)
• “Blizzard of Words” Focus Words Vocabulary Activity + answer key (2 pages)
• Identifying Compound words activity (1 page)
• Character Problem/Solution Trading Card (1 page) – two trading cards to a page (fold each card in half and tape) + teacher instructions (1 page)
• Paul Bunyan’s problem summary graphic organizer (1 page)
• Cover Page (1 page)
Aligned to Common Core Standards for Grades 2-5:
• Recount/Retell stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
• Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
• Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
• Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text
• Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when encountering an unknown term important to comprehension or expression.
***SPECIAL NOTE FOR TEACHING***
Most of the activities are self explanatory. Before beginning the unit, it is suggested that you use the vocabulary assessment as a baseline assessment. At the end of the unit, give the assessment again as a post (summative) assessment.
Check Out My Other Products:
You may also like:
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your c