In this pack, you will find center games that review the concept of tens and ones.
If you use the Envision Math series, you will find these games especially helpful as they review some of the lessons introduced in Topic 11!
My goal for this pack is for my students to get more practice in recognizing groups of tens and ones and the numbers they represent quickly and easily. I hope that you find it useful too!
This pack includes the following:
- Instructions for playing a game called “Searching the Arctic: Finding Groups of 10 and Leftovers” where students use base ten blocks (the ones cubes) to find groups of ten and leftovers. A recording sheet is available!
- A game called “Sweet Tens and Ones” where look at several playing cards (featuring chocolate bars for “tens” and chocolate chips for “ones” and determine what number is shown after counting the tens and ones. A recording sheet is included!
- A game called: Warming up with Groups of Ten in which students will look at several playing cards and determine what number is represented by the groups of ten (chocolate bars again represent a “ten”). A worksheet is included for additional practice!
- A game called “Spin your Digits!”. In this game, students will spin a tens digit and then they will spin a ones digit (each digit has a separate spinner). They will record the numbers on their recording sheet and then write both digits to record the whole number. An additional worksheet is included for extra practice!
- A game called: “Fishing for Tens and Ones: Expanded Form”. In this game, students can actually “fish” for their tens and ones digits through the use of paper clips and magnetic fishing poles (purchase these at your local dollar store). A recording sheet encourages students to write the number in expanded form.
These games are ideal for small groups of children during Math Intervention or as a Math Center during your Guided Reading/Literacy Center Block.
Graphics included are of polar bears, chocolate, and hot chocolate! These games are intended for use around winter and would also make a great addition to any Valentine’s Day centers you are already using!
Some fonts in the pack are copyright of Dianne J. Hook of DJ Inkers. My commercial license is #0812169191