This document is a pre-reading project to prepare students to read the novel Peak. There are 9 parts that the teacher can assign to specific groups or use as stand alone assignments. All the information can be found on the internet. The topics are as follows.
1. Mount Everest: Garbage on the Mountain - This subject looks at the problem of waste on the mountain and the organization that has been attempting to clean it up. The subject also examines the problem of human waste on the mountain and the effect on the people who live below the mountain
2. Mount Everest: Study and Conquer - This subject examines the surveying, naming and measurements of the mountain. The short paragraph at the beginning of the worksheet introduces what surveying is. Also included are questions about the Tibetan and Nepalese words for Mount Everest driving home the fact that the British were not the first to name the mountain.
3. Mount Everest: Geology and Weather Condition - This subject delves into the geological formation of Mount Everest and the creation of the Yellow Band. There are also questions on the extremes in weather on Mount Everest.
4. Mount Everest: Can We Get There From Here - The Southern Route - In this section, students discover the route most climbers take on the Nepal Route to the summit of Mount Everest. On their virtual tour they find landmarks and report elevations as they go.
5. Mount Everest: Can We Get There From Here - The Northern Route - This section covers the landmarks and elevations for the northern route to Everest. This is a simple worksheet in which the students have to find the location at a particular elevation or find the elevation for a particular location on the northern route.
6. Mount Everest: A Thousand Ways to Fall - This assignment asks students to define landforms that they will find on their Everest climb. They are also asked to draw pictures of what the landforms look like.
7. Mount Everest: Climbing History - This subject documents the numbers or climbing attempts, successes, and deaths on Everest. There are also questions about the "firsts" of Everest and asks students to research other unique climbers.
8. Mount Everest: Medical Maladies HAPE- This section is more difficult and suited to students who are expert readers. The questions ask students to research symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis for someone with HAPE
9. Mount Everest: Medical Maladies HACE This section is more difficult and suited to students who are expert readers. The questions ask students to research symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis for someone with HACE