Build your students' reading skills with these vocabulary activities, sequencing skills worksheets, and graphic organizers. Use these no-prep resources with your Pecos Bill by Steven Kellogg Book Study and your Tall Tales Unit.
No Tall Tale Unit would be complete without Paul Bunyan Tall Tale
or John Henry Tall Tale.
Save a well-earned teacher dollar by purchasing the Pecos Bill Paul Bunyan Bundle
Pecos Bill by Steven Kellogg is an adventurous adaptation of this tall tale. The rich vocabulary and story provide a perfect opportunity for word study and literacy activities.
21st century learning requires that students be exposed to academic vocabulary. Studies also show that children need multiple exposure to academic vocabulary in order to “own” the word. I designed this product to allow for multiple exposure to targeted vocabulary, as well as to provide practice in using literacy skills such as recognizing and using compound words, sequencing and retelling a text, and identifying character traits.
The eight academic Tier 2 vocabulary focus words for the activities are remain, collapse, wander, steep, consider, explain, pinnacle, request
What you get:
• Two line assessment of the eight focus vocabulary words (can be used as a pre and post assessment) (2 pages) *The two lines allow for the student to write a sentence using the targeted vocabulary word.
• “Lasso the Compounds” – Identifying and defining compound words activity (1 page)
• Cut and paste story sequencing activity without picture support (2 pages)
• Cut and paste story sequencing activity with picture support (2 pages) (differentiated activity) + answer key (1 page)
• Character mapping graphic organizer (1 page)
• Character Trait and problem trading card (1 page – 2 trading cards to a page) + teacher instructions (1 page)
• Focus Vocabulary “Slewfoot Sue’s” Synonym Activity Worksheet (1 page) + answer key (1 page)
• Focus Vocabulary “Vivid Vocabulary” replace the “boring” word with a more vivid word (1 page) + answer key (1 page)
• “A Tornado of Words” Focus Words Vocabulary Activity (1 page) + answer key (1 page)
• Is it a fact or exaggeration activity worksheet (1 page) + answer key (1 page)
• Pecos Bill’s problem summary graphic organizer (1 page)
Aligned to Common Core Standards for Grades 2-5:
• Recount/Retell stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
• Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
• Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
• Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text
• Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when encountering an unknown term important to comprehension or expression.
***SPECIAL NOTE FOR TEACHING***
Most of the activities are self explanatory. Before beginning the unit, it is suggested that you use the vocabulary assessment as a baseline assessment. At the end of the unit, give the assessment again as a post (summative) assessment.
You may also be interested in some fables:
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the follow link
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. You will also be able to see when I add to a product you have purchased. Any purchased product can be downloaded unlimited times. ☺