Looking for a creative way to teach Genetics this year? This project-based learning case is based upon the famous Fugate clan that possessed the gene for blue skin and lived in the mountains of Kentucky. Students explore the basics of genetics as they operate in medical teams to investigate the family tree of their patient, a newborn baby named Ella. Student teams must construct a pedigree from this information and assigned genotypes to each individual.
This file is a ZIPPED file. Please make sure you have the appropriate program to open it. All files included in the zipped file are in pdf format.
Materials included in this package:
• Pedigree PBL PowerPoint (in pdf format & in non-editable ppt file)-- to introduce the case, as well as provide the pedigree key
• Patient Family History and Genealogy Report-- provides family tree for your patient as well as analysis questions for their pedigree
• Ella’s pedigree--- answer key for your patient’s pedigree
• Pedigree People (in pdf format)-- both male and female; small size and large size
• Sketch Notes for Pedigrees
• One page student notes-- explaining the basics of pedigrees & patterns of inheritance
• Pedigree Quiz with Teacher’s Key-- 10 questions, 2 pedigrees to analyze
• Pedigree Practice Worksheet-- 1 page; includes Teacher’s Key
• BONUS—Inheritance Quiz that includes Pedigrees- 20 questions; includes Teacher’s Key
VISIT MY NEW WEBSITE! www.biologysketchnotes.com
See my blog for more pictures of this activity https://ateacherontheedge.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/the-blue-people-of-kentucky-such-an-awesome-project-based-learning-project/
(Please note, this pedigree PBL is a small part of a larger project my Biology class did. This PBL is only for the pedigree part).
Please visit my blog for a more complete explanation of how I use Sketch Notes with the students in my classroom
Don't forget to FOLLOW ME on TPT https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Drm
for updates and ideas!
Please read: This is a nonrefundable digital download. Please read the description carefully and examine the preview file before purchasing.
© Copyright 2018 Dr. Shelley Montgomery. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the Internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden. Doing so makes it possible for an Internet search to make the document available on the Internet, free of charge, and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).