Looking for ways to improve your students’ writing without having to grade endless piles of essays? Peer review is not a new concept. However, too often, student feedback ends up shallow and unproductive, rising only to the level of “I like your writing.” This helps no one.
Use this student-led writing activity to help your young writers learn from each other by giving and getting truly meaningful, actionable feedback. First, students walk through the traits of good writing by reviewing one of the provided CCSS-aligned rubrics, then rewriting it in their own words. Next, they are walked through the peer review process and shown examples of meaningful—vs. meaningless—feedback. They then read each others’ essays, marking them up, and providing three pieces of authentic, actionable feedback on the sheet enclosed. Their feedback is based on the rubric and the examples of what constitutes "meaningful" criticism. The program even allows students to keep their feedback private and bypass the temptation to copy from others.
This 24-page peer review activity bundle, which works with ANY informative or argumentative essay, includes:
• A detailed, step-by-step lesson plan, flexible enough to last from 1 to 3 days
• An easy-to-follow PowerPoint presentation that walks your students through the process of meaningful peer review
• A unique peer feedback sheet that demonstrates and provides space for truly constructive (and confidential) criticism—offered in two versions, depending on how you group your students
• Two CCSS-aligned 10-point essay rubrics—both as PDF and fully editable PPT formats so that they can be customized for your classroom
• Two blank rubrics, so that your young writers can interpret them and make their own “student friendly” versions
• A self assessment sheet that allows students to reflect upon their work as well as their peer feedback to develop a plan to improve
Stop wasting time with peer review sessions that garner lackluster results! And start reclaiming the hours of your weekends by getting students to authentically learn from each other how to improve their writing skills!
You may also like:
Word Choice Activity: Vivid Verbs
Vocabulary Activity Mega-Pack: 20+ Games, Printables and More
Short Story Close Reading Mega-Bundle
Book Reports & Alternative Projects—30+ Fun Activities (Plus Rubric and PPT)
Presentation Skills Lesson and Handouts (Common Core-Aligned)
Keywords: Peer review, peer feedback, writing activities, essay writing, essay revision, grading essays, no grading essays, stop grading essays, informative writing, argumentative writing, revision activities, revising, editing, rewriting, grading headaches, save time grading, meaningful peer review, CCSS-aligned writing activities, Common Core aligned writing activities, Common Core writing rubrics, argumentative rubric, informative rubric, group writing activities, group revision activities