This scavenger hunt presents facts and fun information about the various penguins species. Students will collect data and complete graphs related to penguins. A Compare/Contrast matrix comparing flightless birds is provided for additional student research.
1. Print the Penguins Scavenger Hunt cards on card stock or brightly-colored paper and cut them apart along the dotted lines.
2. Make copies of Penguins Scavenger Hunt data collection sheet. Each student needs a copy.
3. Place the Penguins Scavenger Hunt cards around your classroom where students will be able to find them. You can put them on chairs, on the computer keyboard, on the back of your classroom door, on the sides of student desks, on the chalkboard, or wherever you like.
4. Students have to search the room and find all of the sentence cards to answer the questions. You can differentiate by having students work alone or with a classmate.
5. After collecting the data, students complete bar graphs showing the penguins’ height and weight.
With the Scavenger Hunt game I have the students complete it during science class or as part of a rotation during math groups. I only have 4 or 5 students walking around with clipboards to locate the sentence cards and write their answers. Students needing extra support can be paired with a partner for this activity. I have also done similar activities with the whole class or as a filler for early finishers, especially if you made the cards a little bit tricky to find. My students enjoy this activity.
Find other scavenger hunts here:
When you buy 5 scavenger hunts you may choose one of the following for FREE! Just leave your username and an email address under the "Ask a Question" tab.
Binder Pages for Task Cards
Scavenger Hunt Organizational Binder