Are penguins birds? Where do they live? Find out the answers to these questions and more during this penguins unit for kindergarten and first grade! The week-long comprehensive unit includes detailed daily lesson plans with literature suggestions. It incorporates science, reading, writing, math, handwriting, and art. It also includes a STEAM activity and links to videos that complement the unit study.
Click on the PREVIEW
to read each lesson plan, see the Week-at-a-Glance planning sheet, as well as examples of printables and art projects.
Teacher Features You’ll Love:
• Detailed daily lesson plans
• Week-at-a-glance planning guide
• Key concepts and objectives
• Extensive literature list
• Video links and QR codes
• Activity directions and printable templates
What’s Covered in the Unit?
Day 1: Are Penguins Birds?
(Characteristics of Penguins)
• Classifying and sorting activity
• Label parts of a penguin
• Are penguins birds? writing prompt
• “If It Doesn’t Have Feathers” song
Day 2: Where Do Penguins Live?
(Types of Penguins)
• Penguins on the map activity
• Penguin report writing prompt
• Penguin emergent reader
Day 3: What is a Baby Penguin Called?
(Penguin Life Cycle)
• Life cycle of a penguin craft
• The Emperor and his egg activity
Day 4: What Do Penguins Eat and How Do They Stay Warm?
• Oily feathers experiment
• Penguin huddle activity
Day 5: How Do Penguins Move?
• Penguin slide STEAM challenge
• Penguin tobogganing races
• If I were a penguin writing prompt
• Ordering numbers least to greatest
• Place value: tens and ones
• Ten and twenty frames
• Making ten
• Comparing numbers with >, <, =
• Counting coins
• Word problems
• Penguin word wall
• Beginning letter sounds
• CVC mystery words
• Read and draw words that end with p
• If I can read “hop”
• Fixing mixed up sentences
• ABC order
• Penguin poem writing
• Postcard from a Penguin writing activity
• Penguin’s Party writing activity
• Penguin Problems writing activity
• All About Penguins writing activity
Questions? Feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Find more cross-curricular units for K-1 HERE
Thanks so much for stopping by!