Whether doing percent of change (increase or decrease)
or calculating new amount
when given percent increase or decrease, I have found that using percent proportions
is the best way to do so. There are no decimal shifts (as there are when students use the percent equation, p = % • w) to cause errors, the amount of memorization is minimal (the percent proportion, part/whole = percent/100
, with some careful thinking before and/or after applying it, is all that is needed), and the problems can be solved relatively simply. After spending years attempting to use and manipulate the percent equation and watching my students struggle, I now gleefully observe them thriving as they use proportions to solve these types of problems (yes, many have actually called it “fun”!). Students who have been well trained in the use of proportions to solve general problems (see Ratios, Rates, and Proportions Galore
if you need a unit which serves as a comprehensive introduction to these concepts) and have attempted to solve simple percentage problems (see Percent Proportions
if you need a unit to train them on part/percent/whole percentage calculations using proportions) quickly pick up how to use proportions to find percent of change, new amount, and to do a number of other calculations that involve percentages.
My experience teaching these concepts using percent proportions provided the inspiration for this product. In a 19-page product consisting of warm-up problems, guided notes, carefully orchestrated worksheets, detailed keys, and a summary sheet, it allows the teacher to guide the students step by step through each of these concepts and provides a myriad of problems of various levels of complexity to ensure the concepts are practiced and retained.
NOTE THAT THIS PRODUCT CAN BE PURCHASED USING TWO SEPARATE METHODS:
1. If you are interested solely in percent of change and new amount
calculations, spread out over the course of two days, purchase this product
2. If you are interested not only in percent of change and new amount, but also other sophisticated uses of percentages, instead purchase Discounts, Markups, Percent Change, Tax, Tip Unit (using Percent Proportions)
. This 70-page, two-week product, sold at a discounted price, also addresses discounts, markups, and tax and tip, and contains a comprehensive unit assessment
The activities included in this unit are summarized below:
1. Calculating PERCENT OF CHANGE
– Includes a warm-up activity, two pages of guided notes, and a one-page worksheet. These activities ease the students back into use of the percent proportion to solve more complex problems by focusing on one type of percent calculation only. The warm-up activity reviews previous concepts and allows the students to explore potential solutions to a percent of change problem on their own. The guided notes pages reintroduce the percent proportion and show how, with some mild “tweaking”, it can be easily used to find percent of change. The worksheet cements the concepts through independent practice with both computation and word problems.
2. Calculating NEW AMOUNT
– Includes a warm-up activity, a page of guided notes, and a one-page worksheet. Here the focus shifts to finding the new amount when a percent of change (increase or decrease) is provided. The warm-up activity reviews previous concepts and allows the students to explore potential solutions to a new amount problem on their own. The guided notes pages show the students how to use the percent proportion to calculate the amount of the change and use that to calculate the new amount. The worksheet again cements the concepts through independent practice with both computation and word problems.
3. Summary Sheet – Now that the students have completed the lessons on Percent of Change and New Amount, they can be given this summary sheet (which neatly shows how all percent calculations they have done to this point fit together) both to cement concepts they have just learned and to be used as a reference sheet in the future. Other percent-oriented products will contain similar summary sheets.
Good luck in your use of Percent of Change (Increase or Decrease) and New Amount
Other products which deal with rates, ratios, and proportions include:
Ratios, Rates, and Proportions Galore
- This complete unit teaches students the basics of ratios, rates, and proportions and is the ideal predecessor to Percent Proportions - The Complete Unit
Percent Proportions - The Complete Unit
- This complete unit teaches students how to use proportions to find part, percent and whole. It is the ideal predecessor to this product.
Similar Figures in the Real World, An Outdoor Lesson
- Uses proportions to solve real world problems involving similar triangles.
- Uses ratios and rates to convert between measures and rates with different units.
Another product which deals with percentages is Tape Diagrams and Percent Made Easy for Common Core Standards
- a product similar to Percent Proportions - The Complete Unit
, but in which tape diagrams, rather than proportions, are used to calculate part, whole, or percent. Ideal for sixth grade Common Core standards.
Also feel free to check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Equation Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Probability Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.