Percent Proportions - The Complete Unit:
After teaching students how to solve percentage problems for many years, I have come to the conclusion that using proportions is the best way to do so. There are no decimal shifts (as there are when students use the percent equation, p = % • w) to cause errors, the amount of memorization is minimal (the percent proportion equation, part/whole = %/100, is all that is needed), and the problems can be solved simply using three easy-to-learn methods. Students who have been well trained in the use of proportions to solve problems (see Ratios, Rates, and Proportions Galore
if you need a unit to train your students to do so prior to tackling percentages) quickly pick up how to use proportions to find part, percent, or whole. This experience teaching percentages using proportions provided the inspiration for this product. In 56 pages of warm-up problems, guided notes, carefully orchestrated practice sheets, and detailed keys, this complete percentage unit first helps students to understand what a percentage is and why it is useful, then trains the students in a foolproof method to find part, whole, and percent, and then provides a myriad of worksheets of various levels of complexity that ensure the students retain and can use these percentage concepts in the future.
Specifically, this product includes:
1. Understanding and Interpreting Percentages
– Includes a warm-up activity, a page of guided notes, and a page of practice problems. These activities introduce the concept of percentage at a high level, show the students how to represent percentages three different ways (circle graphs, tape diagrams, and 100-grids), and ask the students to make interpretations of various percentages and what they mean. A great introduction to percentages!
2. Part, Whole, or Percent?
– Includes a page of guided notes and a page of practice problems. These pages teach the students how to determine if they are looking for the part, the whole or the percent, both in computation and word problems.
3. Using Proportions to Perform PART Calculations
– Includes a warm-up activity, a guided notes page, and a two pages of practice problems. The warm-up activity launches the discussion into the search for the part via an engaging word problem. The notes page allows the teacher to guide the students, step-by-step, through how to set up a proportion to determine the part (by introducing the percent proportion equation and showing three different methods to solve the resulting proportion). The practice pages allow the students to practice doing so again an again in both computation and word problems.
4. Using Proportions to Perform PERCENT Calculations
– Includes a warm-up activity (“Round 3”), a guided notes page, and a two pages of practice problems. Similar to Section 3, but with a focus on PERCENT, rather than PART.
5. Using Proportions to Perform WHOLE Calculations
– Includes a warm-up activity (“Round 4”), a guided notes page, and two pages of practice problems. Similar to Section 3 and Section 4, but with a focus on WHOLE, rather than PART or PERCENT.
6. Using Proportions to Find PERCENT, PART, AND WHOLE
– Includes a warm-up activity and a two-page worksheet. Having now been through notes and practice problems specifically targeted toward either part, percent, or whole, students are now asked to determine whether part, whole, or percent is being sought in each problem, and then to set up proportions to solve computation and word problems involving all three.
7. PERCENT/PART/WHOLE with FRACTIONS and DECIMALS
– Includes a warm-up activity and a two-page worksheet. This optional section takes percentage problems to the next level as fractions and decimals are incorporated into computation and word problems.
8. Tricky Percentage Problems
– Includes a warm-up activity and a two-page worksheet. And finally … the most difficult worksheet of them all! The seven problems in this worksheet each have a “trick” involved that requires an extra level of careful reading and contemplation from the students. These problems increase in level of difficulty as the worksheet progresses and provide a great conclusion to this percentage unit. This may also be conducted as a who-can-get-the-most-answers correct competition.
9. Percent-Part-Whole Unit Assessment
– The culmination of the unit, this test contains a variety of part, percent and whole problems, including whole number, fraction, decimal, and word problems.
Good luck in you use of Percentages Made Easy Using Proportions - Complete Unit
Other products which deal with rates, ratios, and proportions include:
If you would like review a brand new
product which teaches your students to solve more complex, real-world problems using percentages, please see Discounts, Markups, Percent Change, Tax, Tip Unit (using Percent Proportions)
. This 70-page product addresses all of these concepts through more poetry, warm-ups, guided notes and illustrated worksheets, and also includes a comprehensive unit assessment.
Ratios, Rates, and Proportions Galore
- This complete unit teaches students the basics of ratios, rates, and proportions and is the ideal predecessor to Percent Proportions - The Complete Unit
Similar Figures in the Real World, An Outdoor Lesson
- Uses proportions to solve real world problems involving similar triangles.
- Uses ratios and rates to convert between measures and rates with different units.
Another product which deals with percentages is Tape Diagrams and Percent Made Easy for Common Core Standards
- a product similar to Percent Proportions - The Complete Unit
, but in which tape diagrams, rather than proportions, are used to calculate part, whole, or percent. Ideal for sixth grade Common Core standards.
Also feel free to check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Equation Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Probability Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.