Practice finding the percent of change by setting up and solving proportions with these fun mystery letter team relays!
Each relay has students work in groups of 4 to find the percent of change by breaking up the steps to give each student in the group a different role:
- Student 1 is responsible for finding the difference between the original and new amounts
- Student 2 is responsible for setting up the percent of change proportion
- Student 3 is responsible for writing an equation from the proportion by setting the cross-products equal to each other
- Student 4 is responsible for solving the equation and labeling the answer as a percent of increase or decrease
A key at the bottom of the page tells the students the mystery letter. Checking if a group completed the relay correctly is as simple as checking their mystery letter!
There are 4 relays included (all set up the same way) so that students can rotate roles each time, giving each student an opportunity to complete each of the 4 steps.
Competitive classes love making team relays a race!
The 10 pages of this download include:
- 1 cover page
- 1 page of teacher directions & tips
- 4 team relays
- 4 answer keys
I hope you and your students enjoy this cooperative learning activity!