This resource was designed specifically to teach the standards using Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief! I recommend that you introduce the Greek gods before teaching the novel, and even read up on some basic mythology to create the best experience for your students. This novel unit includes...
1. Greek Gods Trading Cards - Use these to record information about Greek gods to build background information before beginning the novel.
2. Greek Gods Comparison Pages - Throughout the novel, use these pages to compare and contrast what your students have learned about Greek gods through mythology with how author Rick Riordan portrays them in the novel.
3. Comprehension Questions - Two formats! One format can be used as small or whole group discussion, and another format includes ample space for students to record answers in full sentences.
4. Standards-Based Skills - Each chapter focuses on a specific standards-based skill for students to use while analyzing the text and deepening comprehension. Skills include main idea and detail, character development, making predictions, point of view, citing evidence, and many more.
5. Version of the novel unit that includes both comprehension questions AND skills
For a sample of this unit, check out Chapter 1 Freebie
If you liked this resource, you may also like:
Theseus and the Minotaur Bundle
Greek Creation Myth: Gods vs. Titans
Other Novel Studies:
The Egypt Game
A Year Down Yonder
Visit My Store!