Performance Task – Informational Reading & Writing – Batters Up – ELA – Texas Rangers
In Batters Up Performance Task, students use their favorite baseball team to practice informative reading and writing in a real world context. As sports journalists, they have to write a column about the team's best hitter from last season. They read informative texts and then study information about their team's hitters to decide on the best player. They then carry out research on the player, before meeting with their editor and writing their final column.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Teacher Guide – Get an overview of the Performance Task, including helpful suggestions for use and the Common Core and skills alignment for each activity.
* Level 1 Activity – Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type.
* Level 2 Activity – Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or plan their writing.
* Challenge Activity – Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities – Finish up. Each performance task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within a real-world context.
* Complete Answer Key – All Performance Tasks come with a complete answer key and rubric for all activities.
* Job Background – Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Find information about the career, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
Click here to find the all-edition set of this Performance Task!
Thanks and be sure to check out our other Performance Tasks!