Finding Area Races are an engaging way to practice fluently finding area of squares and rectangles. This easy to print and prep activity includes three different options for classroom use.
Whole Group Option:
1. Prepare cards. Hide all cards throughout your classroom.
2. Send students around the room to find the “Start” card. I require them to be absolutely silent, and encourage them to compete with their classmates to reach the end of the race first!
3. Students will find the perimeter of the figure on the “Start” card. When they find the perimeter, they will search the room for that particular answer.
4. When they find their perimeter, they will then solve the figure on that card. They will continue to do so until they reach “The End!” I usually offer a prize to the first to make it through the race!
Small Group Option:
1. Prepare one set of cards for each student in the group.
2. Have students independently race to solve the “Start” card.
3. Each student will use the answer from the “Start” card to find the next problem in the stack.
4. Students will race to solve all figures (in order) until one student reaches “The End”.
1. Prepare cards.
2. Set a time limit or personal goal for students to complete all problems.
3. Have students solve the “Start” card.
4. Use the answer from the “Start” card to find the next figure in the stack.
5. Solve all figures (in order) until the student reaches “The End” or runs out of time.