The challenge is for your students (a fencing company) to determine how much fencing they will need to install around three swimming pools for an apartment complex and to send the apartment manager (you) a bid.
Targets the following skills:
• Applying the perimeter formula to a real world problem.
• Adding and multiplying money (as well as percent through sales tax)
• Collaborating with a group
• Writing a letter
• Addresses common core standards 3.MD.8 and 4.MD.3
How can I use this product?
Use this with your whole class, divided into groups of 2-4.
What is included?
• PDF file with complete instructions, apartment manager form letter that requests bids for pool fencing bids for three apartment pools, pool dimensions, and fencing supply prices.
• Answer key
• Group rubric for students to assess their contributions
• DOC file of the apartment manager letter to customize
• Excel file of the answer to show students how spreadsheets and automatic formulas make bids easier
Download the preview to see the first eight pages of the activity.
Is this available in a bundle as well?
No, not at this time.
Do you have other products that are related?
Please check out my other geometry activities!
What standards are addressed?
Common Core Standards:
3.MD.8. Solve real world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons, including finding the perimeter given the side lengths, finding an unknown side length, and exhibiting rectangles with the same perimeter and different areas or with the same area and different perimeters.
4.MD.3. Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real world and mathematical problems. For example, find the width of a rectangular room given the area of the flooring and the length, by viewing the area formula as a multiplication equation with an unknown factor.
How do I connect with Evil Math Wizard?
Be sure to follow my TPT store to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales. New products are always 50% for the first 24 hours, so it pays to follow my store.
To save more money, please leave feedback to earn TPT credits. Also visit my blog
for K-5 math tips and freebies you can use tomorrow in your classroom. You can also find me on Facebook
Other questions or requests?
If you have any requests or questions, please contact me through the "Product Q & A " tab below or email me at Deirdre@evilmathwizard.com