Have you tried using a gallery walk to introduce a topic? It is a great way for students to discover patterns and make conjectures.
This activity includes:
- Instructions for the gallery walk
- 8 problems for students to solve (individually or in groups) and then post. They will use a given scale factor to dilate and graph two similar figures. Then, they will calculate the perimeter and area if each figure.
- Student observation sheet on which students will record the perimeter and area ratios for each pair of similar figures.
- A 5 question reflection/exit ticket (4 different versions) on which students will summarize their observations and demonstrate their grasp of the concept.
- Answer keys for all parts of the activity.