A collection of engaging activities covering the historical development of the periodic table and periodic trends. You may also want Periodic Table #2 Properties of the Families Activities which covers properties of families and other regions on the periodic table.
• Element Puns-For Fun and Learning
• Periodic Table History and Questions
• Creating a Periodic Table
• Discovering Periodic Trends Activity
• Trends Notes
• A Perplexing Alien Periodic Table
(Clues are unique and challenging- not on the web)
• Trends Practice
• Hexagon Periodic Table Puzzle
• Trend Race Game
A periodic table and graph paper are included.
Objectives: The students understand the historical development of the Periodic Table and can apply its predictive power. The students are expected to:
1. explain the use of chemical and physical properties in the historical development of the Periodic Table;
2. use the Periodic Table to identify and explain the properties of chemical families, including alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, halogens, noble gases, and transition metals; and
3. use the Periodic Table to identify and explain periodic trends, including atomic and ionic radii, electronegativity, and ionization energy.