Students will be able to…
• Identify the matching vocabulary term, definition, and picture for each of the following terms: valence electrons, Lewis symbol, ion, cation, anion, octet rule, atomic radius, ionic radius, effective nuclear charge, shielding, ionization energy, electron affinity, electronegativity, alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, transition metals, boron group, carbon group, nitrogen group, oxygen group, halogens, noble gases, actinides, lanthanides, group, period, periodic law, Dimitri Mendeleev, Henry Moseley
• 87 total cards (29 vocabulary word cards, 29 definition cards, 29 example cards)
• KEY – vocab, definition, and picture cards matched by category
• Teacher Prep: Print cards (recommend using card stock – but it is optional), laminate (optional), and cut-out cards. Place cards in a baggie or another container (recommend making 15 vocabulary kits).
• Student Directions: With a partner, students should match each vocabulary term with the correct definition card and picture card.
Ideas for Using Activity:
• Warm-Up activity
• Station Activity
• Students can start and complete the activity at their own pace after completing another assignment.
• Vocab cards can be printed on one set of colored paper, definition cards can be printed on a different color, and picture cards on a different color of paper. For example, vocab on yellow paper, definitions could be on pink, and pictures on blue paper. Students can then be instructed to pair each yellow card with a pink and blue card (or whatever colored paper has been used).
• If there is a trend that has not been covered yet in class, remove that trend.
• Repetition is a key point of learning. Students can be asked to match up the cards during different class periods. To motivate students the second or third time using the cards, time each group to see which group can match-up the cards the fastest.
• Recommend grading as a participation grade.