Personal Narrative Prewriting Mini-unit
This package includes:
- An interactive Power Point presentation that explains personal narrative, sensory language, figurative language, and dialogue.
- Cloze notes and key to keep students engaged.
- Student-centered writing opportunities.
- Student-centered prewriting activity to generate topics and ideas for personal narratives.
- Prewriting activity to plan personal narrative draft.
- Word wall words.
- Opportunities for differentiation.
Perfect for writer's workshop!
TEKS Aligned: §110.17. Implementation of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for English Language Arts and Reading, Middle School
TEKS (16) Writing. Students write about their own experiences. Students are expected to write a personal narrative that has a clearly defined focus and communicates the importance of or reasons for actions and/or consequences.
(8) Comprehension of Literary Text/Sensory Language...Students are expected to explain the effect of similes and extended metaphors in literary text
(14) Writing/Writing Process. Students use elements of the writing process (planning, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing) to compose text. Students are expected to:
(A) plan a first draft by selecting a genre appropriate for conveying the intended meaning to an audience, determining appropriate topics through a range of strategies (e.g., discussion, background reading, personal interests, interviews), and developing a thesis or controlling idea;
(B) develop drafts by choosing an appropriate organizational strategy (e.g., sequence of events, cause-effect, compare-contrast) and building on ideas to create a focused, organized, and coherent piece of writing;
(15) Writing/Literary Texts. Students write literary texts to express their ideas and feelings about real or imagined people, events, and ideas. Students are expected to:
(A) write imaginative stories that include:
(i) a clearly defined focus, plot, and point of view;
(ii) a specific, believable setting created through the use of sensory details; and
(iii) dialogue that develops the story;
NOTE: This product contains another Blossom Alley product: Personal Narrative Prewriting Exercise