I love to teach writing. But few of my students ever came to me loving to write. I knew that I had to ease them into the idea of process writing and spending more than ten minutes on one piece of writing.
What we know from research is that personal narrative is the easiest form of writing for our students. Kids have grown up with narrative, so the idea of story is easy for them to grasp. We also write best about what we know from our own lives. So I start the year every year with personal narrative, a story about our own lives.
After we set up our writer’s notebooks, I did a series of reading-writing connections: read alouds using books that spark a writing prompt that will appeal to almost every student. Each day we read a different book and did some writing. These are the 5 books I used, but there are others that have the same themes.
1. David Gets in Trouble by David Shannon
2. Some Birthday by Patricia Polacco
3. Bubba and Trixie by Lisa Campbell Ernst
4. The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
5. More Than Anything Else by Marie Bradby
Copyright © Suzanne Kenoyer and Krazy Town. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY. See product file for clip-art and font credits.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about this store.