Also included in
- This HUGE BUNDLE includes everything you need to teach, practice and assess writing for the entire year! Students will complete four major units of study: personal narrative, informational reports, opinion essays and fiction narratives. The best part of this unit is that it includes EVERYTHING you n$75.00$100.00Save $25.00
This unit includes everything you need to teach, practice and assess personal narrative writing for eight full weeks. Students will be learning all of the skill necessary to write a small moment stories with dialogue, a strong lead, interesting word choice, paragraphs and so much more! The best part of this unit is that it includes EVERYTHING you need. You do not need to purchase a long list of books. All of the necessary mentor texts are included!
Are you teaching writing virtually? Good news! We just added a Digital Writing Notebook on Google Slides!
Included in this Unit:
- detailed teacher directions and suggestions for simple implementation
- 7 exclusive videos to help implement and organize the unit
- unit at a glance calendar
- 40 days of lesson plans that include guiding questions, materials, mini lessons, student work tasks, student share tasks, intervention and several extension activities
- 15 original mentor text passages
- 24 personal narrative task cards
- 24 punctuating dialogue task cards
- 24 personal narrative writing prompts task cards
- 12 teacher anchor charts (blank and filled in versions)
- student anchor charts and printables for writing notebooks
- conference and goal tracking forms
- writing grades tracking forms
- list of 12 additional mentor text books
- 20 different writing publishing papers
- student writing notebook cover and dividers
- teacher notebook covers and binder spines
- multiple ideas for author share celebrations
- NEW!!! Digital Writing Notebook on Google Slides
- Setting goals
- What is a personal narrative?
- Generating story ideas
- Narrowing your story idea to a small moment
- Rehearsing and Drafting
- Writing a lead
- Adding and punctuating dialogue
- Adding details
- Word choice
- Show, don't tell
- Breaking writing into paragraphs
- Transition Words
- Writing an ending
A Typical Day of Writing:
Mini Lesson: The unit includes 40 lesson plans with a suggested mini lesson. Many of the lessons include the use of mentor text (passages that are included in the unit) and anchor charts. Teacher versions of the anchor charts are included in the unit so that the teacher can project them and fill them out with the class or print them and display in the classroom. Small versions are included for the students to fill out and keep in their writing notebooks as a reference.
Work Time: Students will be applying the skill from the mini lesson into their writing each day. At the end of the unit, they will have completed two full masterpieces and many other independent writings.
Share Time: Lesson plans include a specific task for students each day that allows them to share some piece of their writing with a partner or with the class.
Note: This unit was written with second grade in mind. It has the same lessons as my grade 3-4 version does. The passages, examples and task cards have been changed so that it can be used by a school's 2nd grade and 3rd grade teacher without repeating stories.
Please take a look at the preview to learn more and see examples of components included in the unit.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Available in this money saving bundle:
More Second Grade Writing Units: