Personal Narrative Writing Unit of Study - Takes students through the entire writing process to write their own choice of personal narrative using "Ira Sleeps Over" by Bernard Waber as a mentor text. Some mini-lessons include teaching anchor charts, student handouts, and graphic organizers.
• Common Core Aligned
• 13 mini lessons to teach including:
* What is a personal narrative
* Gathering seed ideas from a list
* Planning using web graphic organizer
* Plot organization
* Writing a catchy lead
* Expectations of a rough draft (including sentence expectations)
* Personal monologue to make writing stronger
* Revising by "lifting a line"
* Editing for capitals, understanding, punctuation, and spelling
* Editing symbols
* Writing conference sign up
* Publishing expectations
* How to look like/sound like a good presenter
Lesson plan bundle includes optional wording for teachers (if you're looking for something to just print and use) - but is easily adaptable to create a longer or shorter unit if you so choose.
If you like this unit, you might like this for your writing workshop:
Revision Lessons Bundle: Word Choice, Structure, and Voice for Upper Elementary
Memoir Writing Unit of Study for Elementary Writing Workshop