Having students write a story about a secret or surprise makes for a great personal narrative assignment. This assignment was inspired a lesson in Regie Routman's "Writing Essentials" book. It includes everything you need to help the students successfully follow the writing process:
1. A handout to teach/introduce personal narratives.
2. Mentor Text Suggestion: I like to use "The Wednesday Surprise" by Eve Bunting as a model text for organization - bold beginning, mighty middle, and excellent ending. There are also some comprehension questions if you want to read the story a second time.
3. Pre-writing Sheets to help students brainstorm secrets and organize the selected secret to share.
4. Drafting and Final Copy sheets
5. Writing Checklist to help students revise and edit their piece
6. Rubric to assess writing
Clip Art is public domain.
Key Words: Personal narratives, Writing Essentials; Secret Stories; Small Moments; The Wednesday Surprise mentor text