Are you teaching Personal Narratives to your 4th graders, and you want to align your unit with the Common Core State Standards? This product contains activities, student reference materials, and worksheets to bring children through the process of topic selection, drafting, and revision of their narratives.
This product includes:
* Writer's Notebook Inserts (Definitions and topic selection sheets): These inserts are meat to be taped into the Writer's Notebook:
*Definition of Personal Narratives.
*4 different general starting ideas for narratives.
* Suggested Activities to follow topic selection (2 brief activity descriptions)
* Narrative writing prompt (practice staying on topic)
* Worksheet: Analyze the question and plan your story
* What Revision Looks Like (overhead transparency model)
* Peer revision activity
* Peer revision prompts menu
* Dialogue Activity
* Show Emotion with Descriptive Phrases Activity
* 3 Word Choice Activities
* Narrative Story Leads Lesson
* Narrative Conclusion
* Character Development Lesson (with worksheet)
* Sensory Details Lesson (with worksheet)
* Narrative Peer Editing Checklist
* Revision Checklist (this checklist doubles as a rubric that is Common Core aligned. Each item has the number of the standard it corresponds with, but is written in kid friendly language).
* Editing Checklist (this checklist doubles as a rubric that is Common Core aligned. Each item has the number of the standard it corresponds with, but is written in kid friendly language).
Due to the cyclical nature of writing, you may choose to teach a lot of these lessons in a different order!
Please note that this product is for teaching the content involved in drafting and revising a personal narrative. This product does NOT have lessons or activities for editing, such as spelling, grammar, capitalization, or spelling. Instead, I included an editing checklist with ALL the common core state standards (in Word format so you can edit it) so that you can choose which ones you want to teach and hold students accountable for during this unit, and which ones to save for your other units of writing.
Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS are solely those of Amber Thomas and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA.
Amber Thomas is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS.
***Are you looking for more resources to raise the quality of your students' writing? I have a whole range of writing resources here! Check out these popular activities
★Ordering Adjectives Packet
★Word Choice Activities
★Poetry Mini Unit
★21 Homophones Task Cards
★Mentor Sentences Bundle