The following lesson follows best practice strategies to get students using technology to revise their writing for effective word choice. Students will improve their writing by using inquiry skills to identify stronger synonyms to use in their own writing.
This presentation uses fun visuals and guides the teacher through:
1. A fun video anticipatory set and questions using clips from the television show Friends
2. Turn and talk prompts
3. Clear and concise instructions focusing on the skills of identifying weak verbs and adjectives and using an online thesaurus to enhance word choice
4. A model paragraph for the teacher to demonstrate the skills
5. A sample paragraph for partner practice (Gradual Release of Responsibility)
6. Independent work instructions
7. Writer's Appreciation to end the lesson on a celebratory note!
(The presentation includes teacher notes with suggestions for the teacher)