Whew! This one took a lot of effort to put together, but it was all worth it. This creativity-based research project allows students to have a wide range of choice in completing a research project, while still holding them to demanding standards. This would work for stronger 7th/8th grade students, or typical 9th/10th grade courses.
Originally inspired by my unit on Homer's "Odyssey" (but reading "The Odyssey" is not necessary for this project), students develop a research journal that chronicles their fictional travels through a variety of locations and situations. Along with a couple of historical characters as their companions, students chronicle their adventures through a historical time and various places, adding research along the way. Students found this project a lot of work, but a lot of fun.
This 18-page packet includes everything you need, all ready to be tweaked to your particular class and put into handouts. This packet includes the following:
- Personal Odyssey Research Project instructions
- Grading rubric
- Sample research entries
- Research proposal instructions
- Library time Work Log & Checklist (great for encouraging self-monitoring and keeping students on track)
- Annotated bibliography instructions
- Annotated bibliography rubric
- Peer review instructions & worksheet
- Peer review "Progress Rubric"
- Midpoint self-evaluation questions
I hope you enjoy this great journey! Please let me know if you have any questions.