Children with autism, ADHD, mental health issues and other developmental challenges often have difficulties discerning social rules, such as personal space. Using engaging graphics from a variety of talented clip artists, I've made a teaching story to teach the concept of the "personal space bubble." I've also included 4 supporting activities to use to further your student's understanding of personal space rules.
Here is what is included in this packet;
1. An 12 page teaching story presented in both color AND black and white. This story not only teaches the concept of personal space but also includes how students should be using their language to interact with others instead of touching them, It presents personal space issues on the carpet, at a desk and in lines. Some of the pages of the story can also be printed out, laminated and used as visual reminders to expected personal space behaviors.
2. Three thought bubble activities in color that depict students invading the personal space of others on the carpet (use for rest time, carpet time or story time) in a line and at a desk. Have your student(s) tell what the child is saying in each picture. These activities are designed to improve perspective taking, ie "what are other students thinking about me when I am in their personal space?"
3. A personal space sorting activity where students sort pictures of children respecting and invading the personal space of others. Includes two sorting mats, smaller pictures and instructions.
4. Black and white brag tags to use to help students generalize their knowledge into the classroom setting. Catch them making good personal space decisions and give them a brag tag.
5. Three personal space worksheets-drawing activities, black and white with 1 page of directions.
I've also included a page of other ideas and activities that you can use to help your students or clients respect the personal space of their peers.
You might also be interested in this bundle of activities for working on conversational skills that is 20% off the price of the three products if purchased individually!
Check out Pragmatics Bundle for Conversational Skills
Looking for personal space materials for middle and high school?
Let's talk about personal space: middle and high school
Be sure to check out the detailed preview page to see all contents of this packet. If you purchase it please leave feedback on it at my store and you will earn tpt credits that can be used towards purchase at any store on the TPT website.
Copyright: 2014 Donna Miazga, Revised 9-16