Writing Workshop Resources
Genre: Personal Essay
Compatible with The Units of Study Breathing Life Into Essay by Lucy Calkins.
Teacher Note: Here are some resources I created to help with instruction and grading throughout writing workshop in the genre of personal essay. There are a lot of rubrics as I was continuously reflecting on how to assess student writing. I decided to include all of them and allow you to pick what fits your instruction and style. What’s included….
• Student “Push My Thinking” sentence starters handout
• Graphic Organizer: T-Chart for Observations as an essayist
• 2 Box and Bullets: Graphic organizer for planning for personal essay and persuasive
• Lined drafting with Box and Bullets organization
• 3 Rubrics for published pieces (personal essay and persuasive) aligned with common core