A Personification Poem is a short rhyming poem that uses personification to better describe or express the imagery in the poem. These poems help students better understand personification and utilize it in their own writing. Additionally students will better understand personification in future reading and writing.
Personification Poetry is a great way to introduce or reinforce personification as a figure of speech.
- Students are given a simple definition, simple directions for the poem writing, and a modeled poem that helps students understand the assignment.
- Students write 3 short poems using personification in each poem.
- There are 3 easy to understand work areas for students to write their poems.
- Each Personification poem is 4 lines long and uses an ABCB rhyme scheme. Students craft descriptions using personification to describe the subject of the poem.
- The lesson is designed for one 50 minute class period, but is flexible enough from 30 minutes to 150 minutes depending on the structure of the class and the needs of the students.
This assignment is designed for classes with a diversity of ability or skill levels, and for students who typically need a lot of 1-on-1 help. Low level and advanced students alike have given me positive responses and high quality work.
- Lower level students are capable of doing the work and often produce wonderful poetry that they enjoyed writing.
- Very low level students can have the assignment modified by having them do only 1 poem.
- Advanced students enjoy the challenge and will often agonize over each poem, trying to be incredibly profound or poignant.
- In the end nearly every student has at least a few lines that are well written and they can be proud of.
- Assignment is also ideal to give to students who finish early and need something to do.
- Ideal for differentiation in classrooms with a wide spectrum of ability levels.
My students are required to "Posterize" their favorite of the three poems and post them in the halls of the school.
- Students "posterize" by designing a small poster that displays the story in a complementary way.
- "Posterizing" lets students take ownership of their writing, instills pride in their work, and celebrates their work for everyone in the school to see.
- We encourage quality posterizing by having plenty of basic art supplies on hand.
- We also encourage them to make use of available technology to type, design, or print for their posters.
Personification Poetry is designed to work as a stand-alone assignment, or as part of the Poetry Party: Figurative Language package (coming soon to the NLL TPT store!)