Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.54 MB | 15 pages
***I am celebrating a Teachers Pay Teachers Milestone this week, so in honor of that, this product has been set to free for a few days. ENJOY!!!
Real-World persuasive essay or speech about money.
This lesson is as real-world as it gets! In 2015, Women on 20s launched a campaign to have a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the twenty dollar bill. This is not the first time the subject of picturing a woman on currency has been discussed. Now, the U.S. Department of the Treasury has decided to redesign the ten dollar bill and add a woman to it! The chosen woman will be announced sometime in 2016. It could be any day now! When that happens, I will go back and tweak this lesson a bit so that it will still be relevant and reload it so that you can continue to use it in your classroom for years to come.
This lesson includes the following:
- Questions from the U.S. Department of the Treasury's webpage The New 10. Students will need to browse the various tabs to find the information about how and why currency is redesigned and some history about the ten dollar bill's changes over the years. Answer key is included.
- Step-by-step lesson instructions for teacher and student to easily follow.
- Handouts that scaffold how to write an introduction, body, and conclusion for a persuasive essay.
- Optional activity instructions if you choose a persuasive speech instead.
- Rubric for the persuasive essay, which is also included in an editable PowerPoint if you wish to adjust it.
- Rubric for the persuasive speech, which is also included in an editable PowerPoint if you wish to adjust it.
- Scaffolding sheets for both MLA and APA citations to help students correctly record their sources.
- Instructions for making this even more real-world by having students participate in the discussion on the U.S. Department of the Treasury's website.
This lesson will appeal to students because it is about money, and we know how much they like that! They are also in charge of selecting who they think deserves to be on the redesigned bill. Wouldn't it be awesome if students receive a ten dollar bill in 2020 (the year the new design will be released), and it has their chosen lady on it! It doesn't get any more real-world than that!
***Thank you for visiting my store! Don't forget to click the green star by my name to find out about my new freebies and lessons!