Use this assignment to teach persuasive techniques in motivational speeches. Have students read the speech from Eagles former player, Brian Dawkins. Next, show a brief, 2 minute, YouTube media clip of the speech. Have students compare/contrast the media clip to the text. Questions are open-ended, so during lecture you can review the techniques you have covered in your classroom.
Included in material:
- YouTube link
- Brian Dawkins, "It's Time to Work Speech."
- 2 page handout
- Writing Assignment, "Deisgn your own pre-game speech."
Student Prior Knowledge:
- Students need to have already been introduced to persuasive techniques.
- Students need a basic understanding of simple versus complex sentences.
- Students need to know how to compare/ contrast media image from text.