Design a Donut Project: I think we all agree that kids love donuts. One thing kids might not love as much is writing. Engaging students in writing is one of my goals every year. Pairing something students love (like donuts) with writing is a fun way to increase engagement, especially for your reluctant writers.
This persuasive writing project is a fun and meaningful way for students to develop and practice persuasive writing skills. In this project, students will design new and unique donuts and use opinion writing to explain why their donuts should be chosen for the featured “Flavor of the Month.”
The Design a Donut Persuasive Writing has been updated with a new digital version in addition to the original paper version! The project can now be used for remote and distance learning using the new digital option.
The Design a Donut Project was created as a way to integrate art and writing. I have been thrilled with the feedback and creative ideas educators have shared with me these past few years.
- "This activity produced some great writing out of my students! They immediately bought in and were engaged the whole time. Thanks for a great product!" -Erin S.
- "I used this at the end of the school year to wrap up our persuasive writing unit. My students loved it! The students had so much fun. I added a competitive edge to this as the winners received gift cards to a donut shop. This made them really take this seriously and write some great persuasive paragraphs! Great way to end the year!" -Ellen P.
- "My students loved this! For fun, we voted on our favorite donut. From there, I took the winning donut to a restaurant in town and asked if they could create it. Not only did they make it, but they invited my entire class to their restaurant to eat it. My students had a blast!" - Elizabeth B.
Please see the specific information about the two versions. Both versions are included, so you can successfully complete this fun and engaging persuasive writing project in the classroom and/or with technology.
New Digital Version:
- A link to copy the digital resource into your Google Slides is included in the PDF.
- The Google Slides resource works great in Google Classroom, but can also be downloaded from Google as a PowerPoint if you use that application for your students.
- The slides are created in WIDESCREEN (16:9).
- The digital version includes the components of the original project but is modified slightly to make it work more efficiently using technology.
- All slides created for the digital version are shown in the product preview.
Original (Printed) Version:
- Lesson plans
- Small group warm-up activity to engage students and review persuasive/opinion writing skills
- Project assignment page (explaining project to students)
- Student planning and project pages
- Grading rubric
- Example of the completed project
Please check the preview to see everything that is included!
-The Knitted Apple
You may also be interested in:
Tips for teachers:
♥ You can follow my store by clicking the green "Follow Me" icon next to my name. Followers will be notified when a new product is posted. New products are 50% off for the first 24 hours!
♥ Earn points by leaving feedback that you can use for future TpT purchases! I love to hear how my products are working for you and your students.