This unit was originally designed to be taught before beginning Lucy Calkins’ “Writing About Reading” Second Grade Writing Unit of Study in order to familiarize students with persuasive writing and forming an opinion. However, these activities could easily be incorporated into any pre-existing classroom unit on persuasive writing, as a stand-alone unit, or as an author’s purpose study on persuasive writing!
Included in this unit are several original persuasive passages written in different formats on the following topics (see preview to check out the different passages):
* Extra Recess
* Classroom Pets
* School Uniforms
* School Year Round
* Dear Santa... Activities
In addition, there are also many activities and resources for teaching persuasive writing to your first, second, or third graders:
* Day-by-Day Lesson Idea Guide--The Lesson Idea Guide BRIEFLY lists ideas for Writer's Workshop Mini-Lessons. These are NOT detailed lesson plans.
* Persuasive Writing, Fact, and Opinion Mini Anchor Charts
* Fact vs. Opinion Partner Sort
* Graphic Organizer for Generating Ideas
* 2 Versions of Boxes and Bullets Graphic Organizer
* Transition Words Resource Guide
* Variety of Lined Writing Paper (5 Pages)
* Persuasive Writing Rubrics for Independent/Peer Editing
*Peer Editing Constructive Feedback Form
* Persuasive Writing Rubric
Please do not forget to rate this product! Thank you!