Products in this Bundle (3)
Also included in
- Teach students to write outstanding persuasive and expository essays with this lesson bundle.The bundle includes the following two units:Persuasive/Argument Writing UnitExpository/Informative/Explanatory Writing Unit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Persuasive/Argument Writing Uni$28.98$47.88Save $18.90
Teach students the elements of Persuasive Writing / Argumentative Writing:
- Write opening and closing paragraphs
- Address audience and opposing views
- Take a position
- Make an outline
- Draft body paragraphs from outlines
- Put it all together while addressing the Common Core Standards!
Note: This unit is also sold in a bundle along with the Informative/Explanatory Writing Unit:
This unit breaks everything about persuasive writing down into easy steps and provides practice at each step. It makes it much easier for students to understand what to do and how to do it, so they actually will write! (And you will actually want to read it!) The unit is based on five-paragraph essay structure, but it could easily be expanded to include more body paragraphs.
This product download includes:
- Lesson plan sequence (approximately 3 weeks) that includes Common Core Matrices for grades 4 - 8.
- Editable presentations for each lesson (including correlated Common Core): The number indicates how many content slides per lesson:
- Audience (24)
- Pros and cons for Opposing Views (30)
- Take a Position (15)
- Make an Outline (30)
- Drafting: Outlines to Body Paragraphs (39)
- How to Write an Opening Paragraph, Part I (22)
- How to Write an Opening Paragraph, Part II (12)
- How to Write a Closing Paragraph, Part I (20)
- How to Write a Closing Paragraph, Part II (24)
- Editable handouts / worksheets to accompany each lesson, 18 total
- Persuasive essay checklist
- 11+ Prompt Ideas
Note: The entrances of bullet points are animated so you can control the flow of the lesson. You also have the option to edit the presentations in PowerPoint (.pptx) or Google Slides(TM) for personal use (prohibited for derivative works or commercial use). The handouts come in PDF and are editable in Google Slides(TM).
My students had trouble with persuasive writing for years, so I finally created the antidote in this unit! Before this, I had made so many assumptions about their understanding of audience and addressing opposing views, not to mention the beast of teaching them to write effective opening and closing paragraphs! I realized I had been assigning them writing, not really teaching it (insert: face-palm).
What do teachers have to say about this unit?
“This has been one of the best items I have purchased on TPT. It is very complete and my 6/7 grade students are doing a wonderful job writing a persuasive essay because of it. I would highly recommend this resource! Thank you so much for providing such a quality item!"
“The unit is a hit with me. The lessons were clear, concise and a real time saver."
“This helped so much. The kids struggle with intro and close and other parts so I love how this broke all their struggles down into parts and gave practice. Will definitely use again and again. Thanks"
“WOW! What a difference this made in essay writing. I actually enjoyed the writing process this time! Thank you SOOO much!”
“I used the Audience ppt lesson for my observation with the principal. She was so impressed!”
“I currently teach 5th grade. I used the information in this unit for a two week persuasive writing lesson. A few weeks later my students took the state writing assessment. I was VERY pleased to see that some of my students had persuasive prompts and were making pro/con charts, thesis statements, and great introduction/closing paragraphs. Thank you!”
“A thorough guide for teaching persuasive writing. Unit is broken down very sensibly into suggested timelines from start to finish. Very professional! Will definitely use this for my 8th graders! Thanks!”
“I love how this is broken down. Thank you so much for sharing your work! My students are loving persuasive writing.”
“This is a well put together resource for teaching persuasive writing. I teach an advanced group of 5th graders and this is something that really helped to improve their writing. Thank you for the great work!”
“I used this with my 6th grade students and loved it. It was organized and went very well. I am so pleased that I chose to try this unit. Thanks so much.”
This unit is also sold separately as individual lessons:
Please let me know if you have any questions using the Q&A tab.
If you like this unit, you might also be interested in: