Also included in
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$99.99$113.38Save $13.39
This unit is hands-down one of the most motivating and engaging Persuasive Writing units! That's because students get to design a and then create a persuasive advertisement for their ride. They learn all about the elements of persuasive writing along with figurative language and propaganda techniques so that they can attempt to persuade others to try out their original roller coaster.
In this 10-day Persuasive Writing Unit, students will develop background knowledge on roller coasters after reading four informational texts, study and analyze advertisements, develop an understanding of critical components of persuasive writing, write their own persuasive advertisements for a roller coaster they designed, present their advertisements to the class, and actively listen to their peers’ writing. Since students write persuasive ads (filled with figurative language, propaganda techniques, and critical persuasive components) about a roller coaster they created, their engagement level is extremely high in this writing unit.
Guided lessons and activities help students to take their first drafts and transform them into well-crafted persuasive advertisements. When it comes time to present their advertisements to the class, they’ll all be begging to go first. You won’t believe how quickly students master persuasive writing and how strong their final writing pieces become in this Persuasive Writing Unit!
Digital Version Included - This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
This detailed Persuasive Writing Unit includes:
- Detailed Lesson Plans
- Advertisement Rubric
- Active Listening Guide for Students
The Student Persuasive Writing Packet Includes:
- Roller Coaster Survey
- 4 Nonfiction Roller Coaster Background Passages
- Reading Comprehension Questions
- Hands-on Roller Coaster Vocabulary Activity
- Guided Notes on Persuasive Writing and Critical Components of Advertisements
- 3 Model Advertisements and Critical Components Graphic Organizer
- Pre-Writing Activities - Because Statements, Propaganda Techniques, Figurative Language
- Step-by-Step Advertisement Pre-write
- Draft Writing Notes and Expectations
- Revision Activities: Critical Components, Style and Coherence
- Active Editing Checklist
Keys: (13 keys total)
- All keys for instruction
- Keys for teacher samples and modeling
Common Core State Standards covered in this unit:
- W.1, W.4, W.5, W.10
- SL.4, SL.6
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.5, L.6, L.7, L.8
Here's an idea! Combine this unit with this 3-Day mini-unit all about the persuasive writing genre. Students create an interactive booklet filled with guided notes and writing prompts. It's the perfect companion to this writing unit! Check it out here.
You may also like...
- This or That Doodle Vocabulary - 160 words and tasks!
- Memoir Study and Writing Unit
- Making Inferences - Teaching Students How to Infer
- Reading Response Project - Any Book! Create a Newspaper
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction