This unit is hands-down one of the most motivating and engaging Persuasive Writing units! That's because students get to design a roller coaster and then create a persuasive advertisement for their ride. They learn all about the elements of persuasive writing along with figurative language and propaganda techniques so that they can attempt to persuade others to try out their original roller coaster.
In this 10-day Persuasive Writing Unit, students will develop background knowledge on roller coasters after reading four informational texts, study and analyze advertisements, develop an understanding of critical components of persuasive writing, write their own persuasive advertisements for a roller coaster they designed, present their advertisements to the class, and actively listen to their peers’ writing. Since students write persuasive ads (filled with figurative language, propaganda techniques, and critical persuasive components) about a roller coaster they created, their engagement level is extremely high in this writing unit.
Guided lessons and activities help students to take their first drafts and transform them into well-crafted persuasive advertisements. When it comes time to present their advertisements to the class, they’ll all be begging to go first. You won’t believe how quickly students master persuasive writing and how strong their final writing pieces become in this Persuasive Writing Unit!
This detailed Persuasive Writing
• Detailed Unit/Lesson Plans (10)
• Advertisement Rubric
• Active Listening Guide for Students
The Student Persuasive Writing
• Roller Coaster Survey
• 4 Nonfiction Roller Coaster Background Passages
• Reading Comprehension Questions
• Hands-on Roller Coaster Vocabulary Activity
• Guided Notes on Persuasive Writing and Critical Components of Advertisements
• 3 Model Advertisements and Critical Components Graphic Organizer
• Pre-Writing Activities: Because Statements, Propaganda Techniques, Figurative Language
• Step-by-Step Advertisement Prewrite
• Draft Writing Notes and Expectations
• Revision Activities: Critical Components, Style and Coherence
• Active Editing Checklist
(13 keys total)
• All keys for instruction
• Keys for teacher samples and modeling
Common Core State Standards covered in this unit:
- W.1, W.4, W.5, W.10
- SL.4, SL.6, SL
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.5, L.6, L.7, L.8
This unit is also a part of a Writing Unit Bundle.
The bundle is filled with 12 Writing Units - everything you'll need for an entire year of writing instruction! You can check it out HERE.
You may also like...
"Casey at the Bat" Unit
Memoir Study and Writing Unit
Making Inferences - Teaching Students How to Infer
Reading Response Project - Any Book!
Create a Newspaper
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction