Phoneme blending is when students blend individual phonemes (sounds) in a word, which is a critical part of learning how to read! Phoneme segmentation practice can also be done with these puzzles! Phonemic Awareness is one of the first steps in learning to become a successful reader! This activity provides extra practice on this imperative skill!
Here's how to use them:
- Print each colored “puzzle” and cut on black lines.
- Print each black/white mat.
- Print on cardstock and/or laminate for longevity.
- Students practice blending by putting the “puzzle” pieces together on top of the mat while saying each sound.
- Have students then say the whole word.
- Repeat or segment for more practice!
The word is written on each mat so that you can make sure they are reading it correctly and there are 100 puzzles included! *To differentiate your instruction, offer different students 2, 3, 4, or 5 phoneme puzzles!
Please note: These puzzles are all in FULL color! The mats are in black and white.
Email me with any questions or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org
❤️ Jamie V.
⭐Be the first to find out about new products and sales! Click HERE to follow my store!
⭐Let's connect! Find me on Instagram @TheMittenStateTeacher to see inside my classroom!
Like this product? Leave me feedback AND earn credits towards free products on teacherspayteachers!