Also included in
- Are you looking for grab-and-go phonemic awareness activities? Phonemic Awareness activities like Word Lists and hands-on phonemic awareness games or activities are WHAT YOU NEED! Stop being frustrated trying to come up with rhyming words or words to segment and blend on the fly? I can HELP! You ca$24.00$30.50Save $6.50
- Are you looking for centers or worksheets that provide additional practice and support your intervention groups with phonemic awareness? Do your students need extra practice with counting syllables or rhyming. Do they need help identifying sounds, segmenting sounds and most difficult of all, substi$17.50$21.75Save $4.25
- Are you looking for centers for practice phoneme substitution to support your intervention groups for phonemic awareness? Do your students need additional practise substituting the sounds at the beginning, middle and end of words? Would you like the option of printable PDFs and digital files? Then$13.00$18.50Save $5.50
Practice phoneme substitution with this low-prep page of sound substitution activities and worksheets. Substituting sounds or phonemes orally is an essential pre-reading phonemic awareness skill. Students need lots of opportunities to practice phoneme substitution, and these activities are the perfect fit.
This resource is perfect for:
✔Kindergarten and first grade teachers
✔Resource teachers providing remediation with phonemic awareness skills like substitution.
✔Teachers looking for a quick to prep option.
✔Teachers who want BOTH hands-on activities and a few worksheets for independent practice.
What's included in this pack:
✔7 low-prep phoneme substitution activities A key is provided for all of the pictures, so there is no confusion for the teacher about what the picture is supposed to be.
- Initial phoneme substitution
- Medial phoneme substitution
- Final phoneme substitution
- What phoneme changed?
✔5 Worksheets with answer keys
Save 20% by purchasing this set of activities as part of a bigger bundle. By buying the bundle, you are getting one set of activities for free!
ARE YOU LOOKING OR A DIGITAL OPTION? Check out:
The activities included are:
✅Sound Switch - 3 centers - Switch beginning, middle and ending sounds - Students spell CVC and CVCC words that match the picture and then read the directions to find out what sound to switch. They switch that sound and clip the new word. This center would be great played in partners if students are not yet reading - a stronger student reads the instructions, and then the non-reading student clips the answer.
✅What Changed - Students look at two pictures and decide what sound changed (beginning, middle or end) to create the new word. They then clip or circle to show the sound that has changed.
✅Switch it Up - This center requires students to spell CVC and CVCC words. Once they have spelled all 4 words, they look back to see what sound changed from one word to the next and circle that letter.
✅3 in a Row Sound Switch - This game is like tic tac toe. Students choose a game board and flip all 9 cards upside down. Students take turns reading the card to find out what to switch to make a new word. When they figure out the word, they put a chip or marker on that picture on the game board.
✅Sound Switch Strips - This activity will have students start with a target picture, change one sound (a star indicates the position of the change B-M-E), put the new word on the strip and then change the sound again. This can be used 2 ways - EASIEST - place the 4 cards needed with the strip, or HARDER put a collection of cards out to make it harder to determine the word.
✅5 Worksheets - Practice the same skills in worksheet form with an answer key to make marking a breeze.
Are you looking for more centers to practice Phonemic Awareness skills? Check these out:
These centers complement my simple-to-use Phonemic Awareness in 5 Minutes Cards: 138 word lists cards covering 13 different skills. You can find them here:
Don't Miss Out:
Leave feedback on this item to earn credit toward future TpT purchases! Be the first to know about my new products and freebies! Look for the green star near my store name and click it to become a follower. You will receive customized e-mail updates about my store!
Connect with me via social media and my blog to see how I use my products in my own classroom!