Students can distinguish between short and long vowel sounds with this out-of-this-world phonemic awareness board game. Bold, vibrant colors and cute alien critters will engage your young learners. Please note: This activity was designed to increase a child’s phonemic awareness. Therefore, the focus is on the sounds and not on word recognition.
* 6 game boards in color and black and white - one for each vowel sound and one mixed
* picture word banks
Additional Items Needed:
* paperclip and pencil for spinner
* player tokens to move around the game board
How to Play:
1. Spin the spinner.
2. Move to the next short or long vowel picture and say the name of the picture.
3. If you land on a space with an arrow, follow the path of the arrow to that space. If you get stuck on the back arrow, you can add a rule that you only have to follow the back arrow once.
The first player to reach the UFO wins!