Phonemic Awareness Quick Prompts - full page for quick reviews and warm-ups
Are you looking for bigger text? Do you need each skill on one page? Try the other version: Phonemic Awareness Quick Prompts - smaller text version.
These phonemic awareness activities have been designed to help teachers ensure they cover all phonemic awareness skills listed for kindergarten and first grade students at a moment's notice.
Now you will have a set script of phonemic awareness skills for small and large groups. Just print and go!
15 skills covered, one per page in bold text for educators to read out.
Staple or bind the pages and have them ready to go on the run.
Looking for prompts with picture aides? You might like our top selling Phonemic Awareness Activities FLIP and TEACH BUNDLE.
Looking for phonemic awareness assessments and interventions? Try our top seller: Phonological Phonemic Awareness Assessment and Intervention Activities BUNDLE.
What does it look like?
Here's an example of what you will read out for the first of three parts, of the final skill (15).
15. Phoneme Manipulation: phoneme substitution
(beginning, final then medial)
Let’s substitute (change out) the beginning phoneme to make a new word.
dab - take away d, add c,
hat - take away h, add m,
get - take away g, add b,
den - take away d, add t,
kit - take away k, add s,
win - take away w, add f,
dog - take away d, add l,
cot - take away c, add g,
tub - take away t, add h,
fun - take away f, add n,
rack - take away r, add b,
yell - take away y, add s,
sick - take away s, add k,
sock - take away s, add l
How can I use the phonemic awareness prompts?
- Use as warm-ups for literacy block
- Quick reviews
- Small groups
- Guided reading
- Small group Google meets
- Leave for subs
- Transition times
No more making up your phonemic awareness drills, games, activities or interventions, all the thinking has been done for you. Word examples provided, all material including teacher prompts and questions for each of the 15 skills.
Research suggests that trouble with phoneme awareness and phonological skills early on is a gauge for poor reading and spelling skills.
As teachers, it is our responsibility to ensure our students have a strong, and competent reading foundation by covering all phonemic awareness skills by first grade. .
Which phonological and phonemic awareness skills are covered in these Quick Prompts?
- RHYME - identification and construction
- ALLITERATION - discrimination and production
- WORD AND SOUND DISCRIMINATION
- SYLLABLES - segmenting and blending
- ONSET & RIME - blending and segmenting
- PHONEME ISOLATION - beginning, final and medial sounds
- PHONEME BLENDING - blending 2, 3, and 4 phonemes
- PHONEME SEGMENTATION - segmenting 2, 3, and 4 phonemes
- SYLLABLE MANIPULATION - onset and rime deletion
- PHONEME DELETION - beginning and final sounds
- PHONEME ADDITION - beginning and final sounds
- PHONEME MANIPULATION/SEGMENTING - substituting beginning, final and medial sounds
Lesson How to:
- Move through skills from 1-15.
- Introduce the skill by name. Discuss that students will need to listen for small sounds in words, and give examples.
- Move through the Quick Prompts slowly repeating questions where necessary. Stop when students are repeatedly miss hearing or don’t understand. Revisit again the next day, a few pages prior to where you finished.
- Make note of students who seem to be struggling, not participating, or who are silent. Group this targeted set of students and use the booklet in a smaller group.
What do you get?
★ Links to freebies
★ How to
★ Phonemic awareness cheat sheet (one page with all skills, see pictures above)
★ Teacher-led questions and examples.
★ Both color and black and white versions
If you're looking for straight out phonemic awareness assessments and interventions, you might like our hugely popular:
Please feel free to ask me any questions via the Q & A tab, here in my store.
Did you know that Clever Classroom is all about WORD WORK? View even more word work resources:
Copyright © Clever Classroom.
All rights reserved by author. Purchase of this download is for ONE personal classroom use only. Permission to copy for single classroom use only. Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Duplication of this file or any other Clever Classroom files is forbidden and violates copyright law.
If your co-workers are interested in this file, you can purchase a second users license by logging back in and going to the product via the ‘My Purchases’ tab on TpT. Each resource in my store has this option and licenses are usually priced at around 50% of the resource.